Sunday, July 18, 2010

White Admiral

White Admiral
aka Red-spotted Purple
(Limenitis arthemis)




The White Admiral is a mimic 
of the poisonous Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor)
 and is typically found in open woodlands and along forest edges.
Their numbers astounded me, and they were a curious lot,
flying all around me, inspecting me from head to foot.

I had the funniest feeling, as if they were trying to communicate with me,
and it felt that if I held out my hand, they would have landed on it.
I felt like Cinderella.
(I didn't look or smell like her, though, after several hours
bushwhacking in the sweltering hot forest
swatting hundreds of deerflies and mosquitoes!)
.

      You'll find more Camera Critters HERE!

10 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Lovely capture. I find butterflies have a habit of flying off before I can take a photo! :)

FAB said...

More colourful around the wing edges than our version. Love the new header Karen. FAB.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, that is a beautiful coloured butterfly. I guess its quite a large one as well.

Mark Kreider said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. That was very thoughtful, and it brought me here! You have a wonderful blog with excellent photography. Nature never seems to become less fascinating does it, and I love anything that includes water... Bingo!

magiceye said...

lovely captures!

re your quesry on my post - yes, we have quite a few strays roaming around, mainly in the suburbs.

Just Ramblin' said...

I can't believe you were able to capture this butterfly.
The markings on it are amazing. Almost reminds me of an Indian design. I love the blue and brown. Great photography! Nola

walk2write said...

The white markings look like a heart shape. Aren't butterflies an amazing gift to us? You know, I've often thought to myself that Cinderella never had time to take a bath after all of that hard work around the fireplace. Maybe the butterflies are attracted to earthiness? Or were you wearing something blue? An entomologist at the NFREC concluded after studying deer flies that they are attracted to the color blue. It might be the same for butterflies.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Karen: What a little beauty.

Unknown said...

She's lovely! You may not have smelled very well, but the best butterfly photos I've taken the subject was on dog poo, lol.

Rambling Woods said...

The deerflies are awful here in the yard...glad you got a break with this beautiful butterfly Karen...