Saturday, August 18, 2012

Old Growth Forest


There are still a few old growth forests in Nova Scotia.
The mighty saw has not destroyed them all.

Yellow Birch

The Dept. of Environment is furtively trying to identify
and protect them
before loggers take them for BIOMASS.

Although most of the sites I've read about biomass
give it a positive twist,
I've seen first hand how destructive this concept has become.

This particular forest was 'mis-identified' and roads
had been cut in to wipe it clean
before DOE got wind of it and stopped the process.

I've learned that not all 'professional foresters'
are created equally.

There are foresters who want to cut down the trees,
and foresters who want to save the trees.
They do not see through the same eyes.


7 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I always hate to see trees removed.I know one biomass project had a set portion of land with fast growin g softwoods that were harvested to heat a college. I wondered if it was still working.

walk2write said...

You're right. Not all "sustainable" energy ideas are very bright. Using corn to produce ethanol is another one of them. Trees are the best hope we have for "climate control" but not if we cut them all down and burn them. What nonsense!

Bill S. said...

Sometimes I want to go back to the bad old days of horses and buggies. We would need a lot less biomass.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Nice photo to emphasize your post. I would add that not all loggers are alike. Though most I've met are shady and have no love of trees and wildlife, some are worse than others about how much damage they do as they harvest trees. During the "dragging out" process they tend to fatally damage as many trees as they cut down.

Carrie P. said...

wow! neat trees. I hope that they will be saved. some people just care about money and not our environment. Hope it all works out for good.

Tammy said...

Hi Karen, I hope they are able to see as many of these beautiful trees as possible! I enjoyed checking out your blog. It looks like a beautiful & interesting place to live. I've always wanted to visit the coastal area up your way. I grew up on the american side of Lake Ontario, but visited the Canadian side many times. Take care!

Just Ramblin' said...

Beautiful trees. I hate to see all these trees being cut down. I hope these and others can be saved. They play such an important part in our environment. Good post! Nola