Monday, December 10, 2012

Wind Farms on Wetlands


After a long ride down a dirt road


we came across this lovely scene.




Turned out it was not so lovely.
This wind turbine is directly behind the wood duck house.

I originally thought this wind farm, in Port Hawkesbury, NS,
was strategically placed in an industrial park,
and I thought, "Oh well, if you have to have a wind farm,
an industrial park is a good place to put it."

Nova Scotia seems to consider the wetlands to be waste lands.
The Tantramar Marsh, on the border of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick,
is a perfect example of this.
The marsh is one of the largest on the Atlantic coast 
of North America,
covering 20,230 hectares.

I have to close my eyes when we pass by it 
because it is now covered in wind turbines.
Since I don't look, I'm not entirely sure, 
but I believe there are more than the 15
stated in the above provided link's article.  
Either that or they are just so big,
it looks like 50!
While researching the wind farm for this post, 
I came across one blogger who stated
that the wind farm will really "spiff up the area and will
draw attention away from the sewage lagoon being dug directly beside the wind farm.".





Interestingly, I found these two photos on a fellow quilter's blog.

I guess you've surmised that I am not a huge fan of wind farms.





5 comments:

Shaun said...

While those wind turbines can be an eyesore, taken at a long exposure they can be pretty spectacular.

walk2write said...

Yeah, in the crazy race to save the earth from traditional energy sources, wetlands and deserts (favored for placement of solar farms) are losing big time. Too many people have jumped on the green bandwagon without really considering the direction it might take.

Kjell T. Evensen said...

If it's not a windmill it's a electrical wire destroying the view. Beautiful little lake.

Bob Bushell said...

I am a big fan of the wind farm. What it does, cleans up the oil, petrol, smoke, and makes us better.

Carli The Quilter said...

Good article. I don't like the wind turbines either. Everyone is in such a rush to make more money, we are choosing to disregard our natural environment.