Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Meadow Walk

Savannah Sparrow
(Passerculus sandwichensis)


The Evil Stare



No matter where I went!


Ohhh, a baby!  No wonder!!

Remember a few posts ago, I put up a picture of a 
Willet (Catoptrophorus semipalmatus)
in the treetop?


He was protecting a nest, as well.  And now there are three!


The Eastern races of both Willets and Savanah Sparrows nest in the grasses,
favoring wet meadows by the shore.
An interesting note about the Willets - the female departs
after 2 or 3 weeks, and the male becomes
responsible for the young.


My meadow abuts an old church, and these willets,
alarmed at my presence, sought refuge in the graveyard.

.

7 comments:

Kay Baughman said...

Beautiful! I love seeing your nesting birds. I'd like to take a walk along the shore and meadows.
-Kay

Just Ramblin' said...

Each time I read your post and see your pictures I can't believe how lucky and blessed you are to live in such a pristine area. Love the new little additions and how interesting that "dad" raises the babies. Keep on sharing! Nola

EG CameraGirl said...

I love your photos of the Savannah sparrows. It was just a few weeks ago when I discovered they live here in the summer too.

I don't think I've ever seen a willet here...but I'm still learning.

walk2write said...

Beautiful, Karen! You're right about the contrast to Florida's Gulf Coast. It's startling. Thanks for sending me the link to this blog.

christopher said...

So wonderful that you can track their movements and progress...excellent!

FAB said...

Thanks for sharing your local meadow nesting species. FAB.

ksdoolittle said...

Kay, I'd like nothing more than to have you join me!

Nola, as always, a delight to see you!

EG, Willets are pretty loud! They are hard to miss.

W2W, Each has it's own beauty! While I love the rocky coast, I relish my time along the quiet sandy shore of FL.

Christopher, I wish I spent as much time in my little 2.5 acre corner of the world as you do in your many acres! And knew as much!

Frank, the best part of the 'local' meadow is it's my property! And I covet every inch of it!

Thanks all for stopping by for a visit. ~karen